Friday, October 16, 2015

Why I turned down lucrative China offer-Ighalo

FOR three nights this the summer Odion Ighalo couldn’t sleep. The striker had been offered “crazy money” to leave Watford and move to China.
Fortunately for the Hornets Ighalo isn’t focused on filling his bank account. His conscience wouldn’t allow it.
“I remember what it was like not to have anything,” the Nigerian international says. “Now I can afford to eat three times a day but I know there are people who can’t even eat once. That isn’t right.”
Ighalo grew up in a poverty-stricken ghetto in Lagos. He knows the difficulties people in his homeland can face. It is why every month he sends money to those be believes need it most.
“My family are number one,” he says. “Every month I send money to my family and friends. I also give money to charities who are helping the less privileged, I send them money to help kids go to school and eat.
“There are also widows I take care of, almost 45 of them, I send them money every month too.
“I am also planning to open my own charitable organisation to start giving back to the poor.
“I am very happy doing that. I think God is helping me do that too because it is always on my mind.”
There is no doubt the money offered by Hebei China Fortune this summer would have set Ighalo up for life. He could have lived in luxury and sent even more money to Nigeria every month.
“When my agent mentioned the kind of money they were going to pay me I thought he was joking,” Ighalo says.
“(Watford owner) Gino (Pozzo) called me and asked me what I thought. The first day I said I would need to think about it but the next day I said I wanted to stay.
“The money isn’t important,” Ighalo adds. “Sometimes life isn’t just about money. My dream was to play in the Premier League. I’d played in the Spanish League and I’d played in the Italian league. I wanted to play in the Premier League.
“I’d been on a journey with Watford to get into the Premier League. I will not just leave my dream and go.
“If I do well in the Premier League I know I will get close to, or match, the money I was offered.
“So why rush? At my age it isn’t good to jump into a league like that which isn’t competitive. I don’t think the excitement or challenge would’ve been good enough for me. I want to build my career.
“But for three nights I couldn’t sleep. I was thinking about the crazy money and so many people were talking to my agent.
“I met them and they were begging me. They were saying that whatever I wanted they would give it to me.
“They said I should come and see China for a week. Come and see what it is like. They kept calling me but I stopped taking their calls. That is how it was.”
Given Ighalo’s start to life in the Premier League it is safe to say he made the right decision. He has scored five goals in eight games and has made an effortless transition from the Championship to England’s top flight.
He also struck for Nigeria during the international break. In his country he is becoming a star.
“The Premier League is one of the leagues everyone watches back home,” he says. “When I was younger I’d watch the Premier League and that’s where I wanted to be.
“When I go back home now, at the airport, people know who I am. They are calling my name. Even Watford jerseys are selling well in Nigeria. My brother was telling me people are selling my jersey everywhere.
“So I am happy to bring Watford to Lagos. Everybody is out there putting on the jerseys.”
But does that bring added pressure? “If I stop doing well people will stop talking about me. I am ok with the pressure. It doesn’t affect me. If I stop scoring goals then the interviews would stop. That is how it is.”



Culled from WatfordObserver