Monday, May 23, 2016

Ideye: Sad to miss Yobo Testimonial


SUPER Eagles and Olympiakos of Greece Forward Brown Ideye says it would have been a great honor for him to be part of the Joseph Yobo testimonial scheduled for the 27th of May in Port Harcourt.
Ideye who is currently on holidays with his family in Port Harcourt revealed he had made enquiries about the game before he found out he was going to be part of the Super Eagles friendly games scheduled for the same period.
The Super Eagles are billed to take on Mali on May 27 and then Luxembourg on the 31st of May and Ideye has been penciled down by caretaker Eagles manager Salisu Yusuf as one of the players to prosecute the ties.
I really wanted to play. I had called and made enquiries last month concerning this particular game (Yobo Testimonial) because I didn’t know I would be invited to the national team.
I was like let me come home with my family play the game then go to the states for holidays with my family but I got called up. Ideye who won the African Nations Cup with the Super Eagles along sides Yobo in 2013, is full of nothing but praise for the former Eagles captain whom he says always acted with concern towards his fellow players and wished the national assignment didn’t coincide with an opportunity to honour his
former captain.
I was really looking forward to the game, to play for him because I played under him and he is a very good guy and it would have been a great honor to support him.
Yobo became the first Nigerian to get a 100 caps when he captained the Super Eagles in a World Cup game against France at the FIFA World Cup on June 30 2014.
The Nigeria Football Federation has however released current Eagles captain John Obi Mikel and his Vice, Ahmed Musa to honor the testimonial game.